The Buffalo State College Teacher Education Unit manages and coordinates the planning, delivery, and operation of educator preparation programs through the Dean's Council, led by the Unit Head, Dean Wendy Paterson. Dean's Council is comprised of Deans from each academic school (i.e., Arts and Humanities, Professions, Graduate School, Natural and Social Sciences, and School of Education).
The Deans Council is advised by the Teacher Education Council (TEC). The unit head provides leadership and a central point of coordination for all education-related programs and activities on campus. Guidance and recommendations are reviewed and proposed by the TEC, which is comprised of representatives from each education program’s academic department. The TEC is responsible for ensuring necessary and productive dialogue between and among the professional education faculty across the entire college; facilitating the assessment, evaluation, and development of teacher education curricula; and communicating recommendations for teacher education program improvements to appropriate campus personnel. TEC representatives take issues and topics to their individual faculty, seeking input from related faculty, community partners, and candidates working directly with programs.
The supervision of the TEC is often supplemented by appropriate committee involvement. The TEC has five committees: assessment, faculty development, policy review, by-laws, and field/clinical experience (PDS). TEC committees are charged with reviewing and making recommendations regarding different aspects of candidate preparation. Each TEC committee provides a committee report at the monthly TEC committee meetings, in addition to bringing to full TEC discussion decision-making issues ranging from assessment to policy.
All meetings held in Grover Cleveland 418
The Teacher Education Council (TEC) serves as the advisory council for the Teacher Education Unit and Dean's Council. Comprised primarily of representatives of each teacher education program, the TEC is charged with the responsibility for supporting and assisting the head of the teacher education unit in:
1. Ensuring necessary and productive dialogue between and among faculty in teacher education programs across the entire college;
2. Facilitating the delivery, assessment, evaluation, and development of teacher education curricula;
3. Monitoring admission requirements to teacher education programs;
4. Recommending standards for faculty in teacher education programs and for professionals with whom teacher candidates work in the schools; and
5. Communicating both general and specific recommendations for teacher education program improvements to the unit head.
1. Assessment/Accreditation: charged with making recommendations to ensure the continuous improvement of programs and activities in the TEU for which unit-wide assessment and data collection activities provide important information.
2. Field/Clinical Experiences: charged to provide TEU oversight of field and clinical experiences in the teacher and leader education programs in the Unit.
3. Faculty Development: charged to seek resources that provide guidance on state regulations and accreditation, faculty research and grant opportunities and professional development.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.